Green Beans and Caramelized Onions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup bottled roasted red bell peppers (drained and chopped)
- 2 Teaspoons fresh basil (chopped; or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Pound green beans (fresh; stems removed, sorted and rinsed)
Photograph courtesy of Rainer Heckmann.
This dish warms up nicely – can make ahead!
|In a covered saucepan, cook green beans in a small amount of boiling water for 8-10 minutes until crisp-tender, drain. Plunge the beans into an ice bath if you want them to retain their bright green color. |
|In a separate pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Cook about 10 minutes or until onion is very tender and golden brown; stir occasionally. |
|Add vinegar to onions; cook for 1 – 2 minutes. |
|Stir in roasted red peppers, basil, and salt and pepper. |
|Add this mixture to the green beans and serve warm. |